( Last updated : Saturday, 12 September 2009 02:45 )
< THE>°BOOKMARK THIS SITE
< THE>°HOW TO NAVIGATE THE SITE
( < THE>° = START OF LINK )
(* = MEMBERS ONLY )
< THE>°PRESIDENT'S MESSAGE
< THE>°SAMPLE NEWSLETTER
< THE>°MEMBERS LIST
< THE>°MISSING MEMBERS
< THE>°MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
THE REGIMENT< THE>
< THE>°< THE>INTERNET SITE
< THE>< THE>°THE COLOURS
< THE>< THE>°HISTORY
< THE>°< THE>AFFILIATIONS
< THE>< THE>°BAND
< THE>< THE>°CONTACT
< THE>°< THE>IMAGE GALLERIES
< THE>< THE>°VIDEO
< THE>< THE>°PAPERS
< THE>°< THE>ON THIS DAY
< THE>°ON THIS DAY 2
< THE>< THE>°GUESTBOOK
< THE>< THE>°FEEDBACK
< THE>°< THE>FORMS
< THE>°< THE>LINKS
< THE>< THE>°SUPPORTERS
< THE>< THE>°MATTERS TECHNICAL
( Webmaster )
< THE>< THE>°DELETED ITEMS
The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment
UNSWR became allied to the Middlesex Regiment of the British Army in 1964 and in the alliance was transferred to the Queen’s Regiment in 1966 as a result of a merger. Also, on 9th September 1992 the Queen’s Regiment and the Royal Hampshire Regiment amalgamated to form the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment (Queen’s and Royal Hampshires). The PWRR is the senior English Infantry Regiment of The Line, is the Infantry County Regiment of London, Surrey, Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Middlesex, Isle of Wight and the Channel Islands, and forms part of The Queen’s Division.
In February 1997, Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, formerly the Allied Colonel-in-Chief, was appointed sole Colonel-in-Chief.
The 1st and 2nd Battalions of the PWRR are Regular units while the 3rd Battalion is a Territorial unit. With it's headquarters in Canterbury, Kent, the PWRR has a further two companies of Territorial Army members which make up The London Regiment (B Company) and the Royal Rifle Volunteers (C Company).
There are also many Army Cadets and Combined Cadet Forces that are badged to the Regiment in units and schools right across the south of England.
The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment can trace its history back to 1572 when Queen Elizabeth I reviewed the Trained Bands of London, from which the 3rd of Foot descended. The Regiment's precedence in the British Army dates from the raising of the 2nd of Foot in 1661 for the defence of Tangier, acquired by King Charles II on his marriage to Princess Catherine of Braganza. The nickname "The Tigers" comes from the 67th Foot (South Hampshire Regiment) which, after 21 years of unbroken active service in India, was authorised by King George IV to wear the Tiger sleeve badge. This badge is still worn by all ranks of the regiment.
On 11th September 1999 the 3rd Battalion, PWRR was presented with Queen’s and Regimental Colours. To mark the occasion, the then Commanding Officer of UNSWR, Lieutenant-Colonel I.A. Lalas, RFD, presented a 300mm high statuette in the image of an Australian soldier (known as Digger) to form part of the Regimental officers’ mess silver collection at Howe Barracks, Canterbury.
The PWRR Badge is a composition of the forebear Regiments. The Dragon was awarded to The Buffs, in recognition of their Tudor origin, by Queen Anne, probably in 1707.
Below the Tudor Dragon is the Hampshire Rose as worn by the Trained Bands of Hampshire who gallantly fought for King Henry V at Agincourt in 1415.
The badge surround with the motto Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense (Shame on him who thinks ill of it), represents a garter as awarded to Knights of the Order of the Garter, England’s oldest Order of Chivalry, founded by King Edward III in 1348. The garter is taken from the badge of the Royal Sussex Regiment and the officers’ badge of the Royal Hampshire Regiment.
The feathers above the Tudor Dragon are the ostrich plumes worn by The Black Prince at the Battle of Crecy in 1346. The 15th Prince of Wales considered The East Middlesex Regiment to be deserving of his plumes for its exploits in India. The award was given the King’s approval in 1810 and was subsequently included in the badge of The Middlesex Regiment.
Second Canterbury, Nelson , Marlborough , West Coast Battalion Group
( Previously The Canterbury , Nelson, Marlborough , West Coast Regiment - Webmaster )
On 18th of November 1977 Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II granted formal affiliation between UNSWR and the 2nd Battalion, (Canterbury Nelson Marlborough West Coast), Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment, a Territorial Force unit based on the South Island for soldiers serving part-time in the New Zealand Army.
Taking two years to achieve, the event has been noted as the first occasion that two battalion sized units separated by the Tasman Sea had been formally affiliated. The then Commanding Officer of 2 Cant NMWC, Lieutenant-Colonel R.E. Menzies, ED, and the Operations Officer of 2 Cant NMWC, Major P. V. Coster, ED, marked the affiliation with a visit to the UNSWR Annual Camp in January 1978 and the presentation of a circa 1840 silver bowl on permanent loan to UNSWR.
As a further memento of the affiliation, a New South Wales Fire Brigade brass helmet was presented by Colonel Molloy in the mid 1980s to 2 Cant NMWC.
A strong relationship has been built up between UNSWR and 2 Cant NMWC through a number of exchange and other visits and these are referred to in other chapters of this history.
Major Coster had become a Lieutenant-Colonel by 1984 and as Commanding Officer of 2 Cant NMWC he summed up the idea of exchange visits in an open letter to UNSWR…..
In 1999 the 2nd Battalion, (Canterbury, Nelson, Marlborough, West Coast), Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment amalgamated with the 32nd (E) Battery, Royal New Zealand Artillery, the Territorial Force elements of the 3rd Field Squadron, Royal New Zealand Engineers, the 3rd Signals Squadron, the 3rd Logistics Battalion, and the 3rd Field Ambulance. The amalgamated units became the Second Canterbury, Nelson, Marlborough, West Coast Regiment which from 2003 was titled the Second Canterbury, Nelson, Marlborough, West Coast Battalion Group and retained the short title 2 Cant NMWC.
2 Cant NMWC provides personnel for overseas commitments, augments the Regular Force on training or filling positions in New Zealand and provides a presence in the wider community.
The Regimental Headquarters, a Combat Service Support (Transport, Supply and Administrators), a Health Services Group (Medical) and a Youth Life Skills Cell Regimental Band are based in Burnham just south of Christchurch.
Other sub-units are:
2 Cant NMWC traces its history back to August 1845 when the Nelson Battalion of Militia was gazetted and trained daily for three months until the settlers' apprehension of possible Maori attack had abated. Voluntary training commenced in Canterbury in 1859, Nelson 1860, Marlborough 1861 and West Coast 1868. From those dates until today there has been a continuous record of service, including service by members of the amalgamated units in all major conflicts that have involved New Zealand as a nation.
All links on this site are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by the University of New South Wales Regiment Association of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. The University of New South Wales Regiment Association bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links.
COPYRIGHT 2006 - 2009 , UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES REGIMENT ASSOCIATION , ALL RIGHTS RESERVED